The Community Outreach Development Programme is a new strategic initiative comprising several strategic infrastructure projects aimed at improving infrastructure support to citizens at the community levels. This comprehensive programme is NIDCO’s demonstration of its corporate social responsibility towards national development. It will significantly enhance the social quality of life of the people in locations where NIDCO’s major projects and programmes are being implemented. There are several components of the Community Outreach Development Programme as follows:
- Community Infrastructure Enhancement Programme. As a good corporate citizen, NIDCO’s social responsibility is to positively impact the lives of all citizens through our work. In this regard, we partner with several government ministries and community-based organisations to construction and refurbish infrastructure. Our aim is that improved community infrastructure will foster the spirit of community development and social cohesion.
- Community Playpark Programme. As part of our Community Outreach Development Plan, NIDCO’s has developed a prioritised programme of playpark investment in communities which will create outdoor recreation opportunities.
- Community Business Support Programme. This specific programme is geared towards stimulating business activity in the communities. NIDCO will provide the necessary infrastructure to support community based business activity in the manufacturing and services sectors.
In addition to the above projects, NIDCO will also establish Community Outreach Centres that will demonstrate our strong commitment to community relations and support the land acquisition process for several of its major highway projects and also bridge the gap between NIDCO and its communities.
In February 2011, the Community Outreach Centre, Debe was established to provide the following services:
- Information on the Land Acquisition Process.
- A Reception Centre for the submission of claims
- Counselling services, provided by one of the Caribbean’s renowned psychologists.
Since the commencement of construction works on the Solomon Hochoy Highway Extension Project, NIDCO has assisted hundreds of families through these above services offered at the Community Outreach Centre. Contributions have also been made to cultural activities in several communities.